How to remove rotors that are stuck on

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
bill25

How to remove rotors that are stuck on

Post by bill25 »

If I wasn't totally filthy from doing the strut job...

I really should have looked this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

This seems like a very good method. I was there, 4x4 posts didn't work, sledge didn't work, bigger sledge didn't work, turned to the torch... Broke both rotors, which allowed them to be pried off.

I definitely plan on trying this method next time.
kevm14

Re: How to remove rotors that are stuck on

Post by kevm14 »

That is a good idea.

I've never been that stuck before but that is definitely something to try next time.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

That said you will have to pay attention to the caliper mounts. They were not designed to take load in that direction.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Technically, since the caliper floats, wouldn't the force of the exterior pad pushing inward be a force in the same direction as this? Sure, the other pad should negate that, but if the pads wear unevenly, the force is uneven, and the caliper mount would bear quite a bit of force.

I agree that you should monitor the caliper mount to ensure it is not bending while you try this, but that is a serious piece of metal. Granted, this is also a serious amount of pressure that the screws are likely applying.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

If the slide pins got totally jammed, then it would put pressure on those mounting ears because the caliper piston would try to push the rotor off the hub, just like those bolts.

So, in the case that they designed to accommodate that potential condition, it should be fine. But during normal brake operation, there would really be like zero in/out force. It's all circumferential.