General STS thread

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: General STS thread

Post by kevm14 »

Based on what you wrote earlier and this link, I would say tinting is basically illegal in RI. 70% VLT is going to be pretty close to stock windows. That is nonsense. Bordering states such as CT and MA allow a lot more. Looks like I will need to have it professionally removed. Because stupid RI.

http://windowtintingtips.com/rhode-isla ... tint-laws/
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I was originally asking if the reflash for the trans had been done.

Yeah, RI car stuff is pretty crazy. Tint, registration, etc.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So there are tint places in RI...

I will ask when I get the VIN check and maybe even swing by Tire Pros later and see if someone can render an opinion.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I asked the Cranston cop who did the VIN check. He reiterated the law we just discussed and yes it is stupid that trucks/SUVs have different rules than cars. We did not talk about that part.

He said something like "well obviously you are not a gang banger and we are looking for a certain kind of thing when we pull over a car.". But he said I would definitely be getting stopped at some point. I will take my chances with the inspection and see where that leads.

FWIW, I've driven by like 3 cops today already and no issues. This despite no front plate. And a MA inspection sticker. I even drove into work...

Sitting at Middletown DMV now because Cranston was terrible. Just like last time.

Oh, I think I will end up doing a torque converter on this car, due to a chattering lockup clutch. I will try fluid/filter but not super optimistic. Kind of mad at myself because I instantly recognized the symptoms during the test drive and chose to take the risk. So it wasn't like I didn't know. I guess it will still be worth it given the overall picture. The shifting all feels pretty good so I think the rest of the trans is healthy.

I really like driving the car. Great stereo, great ride/handling. I look forward to tightening up the anti-roll bar stuff because the rest feels tight and solid. The steering has a little more play than the SRX but less than the CTS-V, which is acceptable. Feels a lot lighter than it is. Plenty of power. The suspension impressed me when I drove into work. I was in Touring and decided to run over the speed bumps at like 12 mph which is what I usually do in the Caprice. It like completely absorbed the bumps. It was amazing.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I drove home all in Touring. It is really nice that they give you both settings. I think the handling in Touring is probably about as good as Performance. It's just that Performance starts off firmer, which some people like. On the ride home tonight, Touring seemed to give the best of both worlds. Smooth ride and firmed up nicely when I wanted to corner. And the best thing is, if I change my mind, I just tap the Performance button.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Questionable torque converter solution:
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/M465HA.html
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

GM Parts Direct does not list the torque converter as separately available. Another website lists them for the 5L40 (V6) and it is under $200. So, assuming the V8 one is under $300, that means, aside from the gross amount of labor, the new rear shocks, good tires and recent brakes are a more valuable trade. At least in pure monetary terms. I will try a few things for sure before writing it off. Just doing my due diligence.
Bob

Post by Bob »

kevm14 wrote:I drove home all in Touring. It is really nice that they give you both settings. I think the handling in Touring is probably about as good as Performance. It's just that Performance starts off firmer, which some people like. On the ride home tonight, Touring seemed to give the best of both worlds. Smooth ride and firmed up nicely when I wanted to corner. And the best thing is, if I change my mind, I just tap the Performance button.
It sounds like they are catering to the general public who believes firmer = better.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Drove into work again on Touring. You can definitely feel it working. There is this dip that would cause my Caprice (on somewhat high mile Bilsteins) to actually bounce (highway speeds). In Touring, it takes the dip and you can feel the damping immediately increase to completely halt the rebound back to level.

Also, I found the tires were over-inflated. They were up at 35-37 and factory is actually 30. I think 30 is too low for the weight of the car so I did 33 front and 31 rear. It is even more supple now. It almost completely smooths out bumps that are harsh and clunky in my Caprice. Yet it feels plenty firm when actually cornering.

My initial thought was I preferred Performance because it made the car feel sportier. But now that I have spent more time driving it, I think Touring is the way to go. I don't know if I am leaving anything on the table with Touring when it comes to pushing the handling - it would be nice to know what the design specified. It just seems like Touring is using the MR system correctly whereas Performance is just firmer when it doesn't need to be.

I will also say that the rattly/clunky anti-roll bar stuff is annoying. I need to fix that soon. It's not major but once you notice it, it is really annoying and makes the suspension feel high mileage. I had to do bushings on my CTS-V in the front years ago and it completely eliminated a similar thing.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Other info.

http://aurorah.proboards.com/thread/19230

Another link on the TSB.

http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/51qi ... 0-000.html

This guy said his did it for 30k...and was only at 47k when he complained about it. I didn't realize how common this was.