Fleetwood Shocks

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
Adam

Fleetwood Shocks

Post by Adam »

When I got the car I replaced the completely failed shocks with AC Delco "Professional; Premium Gas Charged" replacements from Rock Auto. They didn't delineate between FE1 and FE2. After driving the car for a while, the shocks seem to err on the side of FE1 (bouncy couch). Also, over the years, the front right developed a squishing sound when compressing.

Previously, I had put Monroe Severe Service shocks on the front of my Caprice. They worked well. When I disassembled the Caprice to recycle it, I saved them. Finally got around to putting them on today. Even after 20k+ on the Caprice while in service and 3+ years on the Caprice while parked, they still work great. I should have done this sooner.

Now to address the rear. Just in case I haven't mentioned this before: the load levelling system is not hooked up. The OEM air shocks have been replaced with some generic air shocks that require manual filling. Over the years they loose air faster than they used to. Kevin supplied some air pump parts from his Fleetwood, but I haven't taken it all apart to figure out what the issue is. I could do that, or do what Ed did to the Road Master: air bags for levelling + Monroe Severe Service for damping.
Fast_Ed

Re: Fleetwood Shocks

Post by Fast_Ed »

Funny, I did similar. Soft AC delco shocks all the way around when I first got the car. Then Monroe severe service all the way around when I realized that soft shocks are stupid. Soft shocks start out weak, and just get worse.

I'd do air bags and Monroe ss. It's cheap and gives noticeable damping.
kevm14

Re: Fleetwood Shocks

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah I learned the same lesson on my Fleetwood on the AC Delco Professional shocks. That said, I do like the automatic leveling. It is more work but it seems the solution is to do that thing to the regulator of the air compressor (lowers the min pressure) and connect it to air bags.

But it depends how you use the car. The air compressor probably has never worked since I got my STS and it was only noticeable when we had 4 people piled in going to lunch. I will say if you regular load people and stuff, I can't imagine a manual system - what happens when you get to the other end and drive around empty? It's over inflated, too tall, and probably bouncier than it should be. Headlights pointed down...etc.