General 96 Roadmaster thread

Non-repair car talk
Adam

Re: Caprice engine swap?

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote: What do you guys think the market value for this car is? I think 4 is high, though I acknowledge the above average body and mechanicals. Basically I am saying I don't want to pay more than I could get for it if I turned around and sold it. It's a 96 Roadmaster with 182k. Who would really even pay more than $2500? Right? No?
What the value of a non-ruined B-body? The value of a ruined B-body is pretty low. The market seems to be running out of non-ruined B-bodies that are real cheap. The real question is what do you want for a Caprice replacement?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:Here's a real Roadmaster candidate.

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/d ... 84270.html
1996 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, Collectors Edition - $3995 (Bourne)
Clean, runs excellent, very well maintained, no rust, everything works. LT1 engine with gran touring suspension and tow package. 2nd owner. I did not plan to sell but circumstances changed. Tons of new parts over the years. Fluids changed frequently. Recent major service at 169,000 miles: transmission full flush, fluid and filter; differential oil change (synthetic); cooling system flush and fill; brake system flush and fill; new thermostat, radiator hoses, AC spark plugs, knock sensors, pcv valve, fuel and air filter. Other recent work includes new steering box, front brakes (complete), new bearings, new brake lines, new tires. Upgraded parts include heavy duty front end, police shocks, cargo springs, etc. Recent engine oil analysis stated the LT1 engine is in great shape. Lots of miles left on this good looking, strong running classic.
Of note: V92 tow pack with V08 cooling and FE2 suspension. Has keyless entry. Black. Really looks damn nice actually. The miles don't really bother me and it sounds like it was really maintained well. And it is in Mass. New steering box. I mean this was a real enthusiast vehicle (oil change analysis!). And no landau!
He e-mailed me again.
Are you there? Are you still interested? I will make you a great deal as I am moving and need to sell the car. Please let me know...Bob
So I said...what does great deal mean? And that I haven't seen it so I don't have a firm price in mind.

That said, Edmunds in Clean or Outstanding (makes no difference) puts it at $1,115 private. Even dealer retail (meaning clean enough to actually put on a lot somewhere) is only $2,108.

If I could get him all the way down to $2k, that might be a worthwhile option. What do you guys think? Like what's the "I'd be stupid not to buy at this price" price? Assuming, of course, that visual and test drive proves that it is even worth having.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I am at xxxxx, bourne. 1 min from Bourne Bridge. I suggest if you want it that you stop by tomorrow on your way by and take a look. Make me an offer if you like it. I am moving to NC on the 23rd and need it gone. (508) xxx-xxxx.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Taking the e-mail thread to here...

I like the way this car is configured. It’s basically the ideal RMS.

- High miles keeps the price down (well, $3500 isn’t a deal but he could significantly discount it from there), if only because no one else would be interested
- Black
- Paint is good
- Mechanical maintenance and even rust repair though not rusting in the first place is better
- No landau
- V08 and 2.93 with G80 is something
- Lack of heated seats actually makes the car more practical as they wouldn’t work most likely and it wears poorly on the bolster. I like the Limited but not sure if it actually makes sense to seek out.
- Otherwise seems to have decent options like keyless, dual power seats, and so on.
- FE2 but even upgraded further so as it sits it should ride and handle more like my Caprice than an FE1 RMS which is handy.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I mean, it all depends on the rust situation. If it is clean, 2K is probably reasonable, you might even get it for a little less. I am not really into taking advantage of people. 2K if very clean is reasonable. Remember, clean ones are hard to find, that is really all you are looking for. If it isn't clean it is not worth anything to you.

On the other hand, 2K seems a little low compared to what people seem to be asking for good ones. Not sure where they get those prices from.
Adam

Post by Adam »

The ad says $2995.

To paraphrase/expand on my recent email:
The real question is: do you want a clean RMS? And if so, does this one have the equipment you want? There is some amount of premium on rust free cars already in New England. You can go south to get one, but that is a non-trivial cost. You should determine what that cost is and subtract it from his asking price to see what the actual car cost is.

If you can go to NC or wherever and buy a clean one of these for $2500, you are going to spend 800 miles x 3 worth of gas if it is near Charlotte (2 for driving down and back in something, one for driving back in the new car). My rough estimate of that is $240 for just gas assuming all cars average 25 MPG at $2.50/gal. What is your time worth? Its 12 hours each way. You could also fly down and drive back to save time, but that might be at the cost of $$.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Oh wow he dropped the price again to $2995
bill25

Post by bill25 »

KBB for a non-Linited Private Party is $1,601 in "Very Good Condition". Is this a Limited?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Short-notice 1-way flights to Charlotte are $250-$325 depending on many things. With a reasonable layover, its just over 4 hours gate to gate. If you like spending $$ American can get you there direct for ~$400 in just under 2.5 hours.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Limited jumps way up to $1,684.