Rumor: FCA to drop base 5.7L Hemi for turbo power

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
kevm14

Re: Rumor: FCA to drop base 5.7L Hemi for turbo power

Post by kevm14 »

bill25 wrote:You didn't actually list any GM vehicles between 5-7K :). You listed a Ford, which I agree should be in the discussion, and would probably lose to the Charger, and a car that looks great, but is out of the budget with over 200K miles. I am not buying a daily with 200K miles for 8 grand.
Sure. But I thought I did list one. The STS has a V8. And you can get a RWD one that'll even do very nice burnouts if that is a requirement. It'll be lighter and less complicated, too.
405 HP when new.
What does that mean???
I don't know. He shouldn't have written it like that. Also, it was 400 hp. The Z06 was 405.

Factoring in what he replaced, based on my knowledge of these cars, the items I'd be looking at with 201k are:
- Transmission (if it shifts nicely and doesn't make any funny noises, it is probably fine - and a test drive can sort that out)
- Driveshaft/carrier bearing (again, clunking on the test drive will identify that easily)

That's it. He already did tons of key stuff, including the clutch and engine mounts.

I guess I'd still have trouble buying a $5k charger when there is a V1 at $8k that was this well taken care of. The Charger is definitely the larger car and has an automatic which may be desirable in a family vehicle. But the V1 is so much better otherwise that I'd just have a hard time with the Charger....

You say you don't need the performance. Well....that's where the STS comes in.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I definitely missed the STS as an option. That was a mistake. The STS is in the discussion. I agree the CTS-V is way better than an 06 Charger RT. The question is if you found a unicorn, or if these are actually attainable for 8K.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think this car will actually sell for less than $8k. Not sure how much less.

It is somewhat of a unicorn in terms of it being so well taken care of I think (out to 201k I mean). Basically it's the ideal situation - long term owner who drives a lot but still cares about how the car looks and drives, and maintains accordingly. I'd be less excited about the random example that someone bought at 140k, drove to 180k and is selling in average condition with no records - and it would probably need most of the stuff that this guy already replaced.

But it's not a unicorn in terms of what he is asking. The market will bear a certain amount, regardless of how nice this is, due to the miles. It's not like he's asking $4k under book or something.