Ford cars

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
kevm14

Ford cars

Post by kevm14 »

I have not been paying attention to this at all for some reason.

Here's an article.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/for ... ?ocid=iehp
kevm14

Re: Ford cars

Post by kevm14 »

According to Jim Farley, Ford's head of global markets, critics are wrong to suggest this is a repeat of the same mistakes that nearly toppled the American auto industry last time gas prices spiked. "Customer view and experimentation on the utility side is so much more broad," Farley told Automotive News. "Utilities are the preferred body style. This wasn't the case before the downturn."
I don't follow. Utilities weren't the preferred body style before?
He also pointed out that modern crossovers are nearly as efficient as sedans. For example, the EPA's combined fuel economy rating for the Ford Escape is only one mile per gallon less than a Fusion's. And while compact and midsize sedans are still high-volume segments, Farley believes Ford will be able to recapture those buyers with tempting deals on crossovers.
That is at least a fair point. Not-much-different fuel economy in what is a more compelling overall package is the winner. People like AWD, hatch utility, and a higher seating position. You know what the original crossover was? AMC Eagle in like 1981. Yeah.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

That is at least a fair point.
It is at face value... I just don't see how more weight (bigger), and higher height/greater drag coefficient really only comes out to 1 MPG difference.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

If you think about it, people and the industry have been optimizing for the crossover for decades. We went from wagons to smaller but more packaging and fuel efficient FWD minivans, to body on frame SUVs and finally to crossovers, which are really just tall wagons. Long live the wagon?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Totally randomly: my mom's 2013 Ford Fusion needs shocks at 125k.