Camaro hunting

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: Camaro hunting

Post by kevm14 »

Now here is some interesting stuff. Apparently they had a similar issue with the 93-96 Northstars at one point with foreign debris potentially clogging the relief valve, making it stick open and thus not allow any pressure to build (sound familiar?). The fix is wild. Also the TSB was dated 96 so who knows if this problem is like a design issue or something that could potentially apply to many engines.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t255510 ... valve.html
Engine - Loss of Oil Pressure/Lack of Power/Oil, MIL ON

File In Section: 6 Engine

Bulletin No.: 47-61-32B

Date: March, 1996

Subject:
Lack of Power, Loss of Oil Pressure
(Check Harmonic Balancer Bolt Torque and Flush Oil Pump Relief Valve)

Models:
1993 Cadillac Allante
1993-96 Cadillac Eldorado, Seville
1994-96 Cadillac Concours
1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
with 4.6L Engine (VINs Y, 9 - RPOs LD8, L37)
1995-96 Oldsmobile Aurora
with 4.0L Engine (VIN C - RPO L47)

This bulletin is being revised to add clarification to correction. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 47-61-32A (Section 6 - Engine).

Condition

Some owners may comment on low oil pressure which may display a "Low Oil Pressure" message and/or a "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" (Service Engine Soon) telltale. Vehicle owners may comment that these telltale messages illuminate at engine speeds of 1000 rpm and above.

Cause

Lack of oil pressure may be caused by:

^ Particles from the manufacturing process sticking the oil pump relief valve, not allowing the valve to seal to its seat which does not allow the pump to prime.

^ A loose harmonic balancer bolt which will result in the oil pump not turning.

Correction

Ensure the harmonic balancer bolt is tighten to spec. The correct torque value for this bolt is 60 N.m (44 lb ft) plus 120°for 1993-95 engines with an M18 bolt and 50 N.m (37 lb ft) plus 120°for 1996 engines with an M14 bolt.

Notice : A small number of 1995 engines were built with crankshafts equipped with the M14 bolt. Identify the size of the bolt to determine the proper torque specification.

If the bolt is to specification, the cause of the low oil pressure is internal to the pump.

To remove particles from the relief valve in the oil pump, perform the following procedure:

1. Add an ADDITIONAL 10 to 12 quarts (liters) of engine oil to the engine. This will immerse the pump completely in oil.

2. Start the engine and repeatedly open the throttle (rev the engine) from idle to 3500 rpm. This will allow the pump to prime; cycling the relief valve forces any debris from the relief valve.

Important : Do not operate the engine above 3500 rpm. Doing so will aerate the engine oil and/or force excess engine oil into the PCV system. DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE while the additional oil is in the engine.

After the engine has sufficient oil pressure, any valvetrain noise associated with this low oil pressure condition should not be evident upon restarting the vehicle and the low oil pressure and malfunction indicator lamp (service engine soon) messages should not remain illuminated.

3. After engine has sufficient oil pressure, drain the crankcase. Reinstall the engine oil pan drain plug.

4. Add 7 quarts of engine oil and check the oil level. Make sure the vehicle is on a level surface and the engine operating temperature is 1OO°C when checking the oil level with the engine stopped for 15-20 seconds.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation Labor Time

J0989 0.5 hr
They want you to WAY overfill the oil and force the relief to cycle or something which clears the debris. That is hilarious. Found several accounts of folks doing this and claiming success. That is crazy. I am not saying to do this on engines effected by the issue Bill posted but it is interesting.

Back to Bill's concern, maybe it means being more religious about oil changes and filter quality. This is one of those weird downsides of buying a car with low miles. If you bought one with like 60k I think it would be safe to assume the issue isn't going to happen, or at least that would be my current synopsis.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

A search of "PIP4158G" revealed zero hits on the Cadillac Forums.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Also found this which came out before the 2010 Camaro was even available.

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/foru ... cs.384984/
Subject:Low Oil Pump Pressure due to Seized Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Models:2008-2009 Buick Lacrosse, Allure (Canada Only)
2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade
2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Trailblazer
2007-2008 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
2007-2009 Corvette, Impala SS
2009 Chevrolet Colorado
2007-2009 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon
2009 GMC Canyon
2008-2009 Hummer H2
2008-2009 H3 Alpha
2008-2009 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2007-2009 Saab 97x
with Aluminum Gen IV V8 Engine Block
(RPO Codes L76, L92, L9H, LC9, LH6, LH8, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS7)
In recent years GM has had a rash of oil pressure problems directly related to aftermarket oil filters. GM will not warrant any engine damage or other issues caused by aftermarket parts.
So again, this one came out in late 2008. Oh it is just different revisions of the same number. Let me play around with "PIP4158" and see what I can find.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Yeah, the fix for the issue for mine is either replace the oil pump, or put a stint in the valve...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I cannot find this on BBB Industries and I looked up many effected vehicles. I just wanted to find the latest revision. Or a chain of revisions. Kind of seems like they just kept widening applicability as the years went on. Still seems like a contamination issue to me.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=20096.0

Maybe it is just a machining tolerance issue at manufacture - or maybe a combo of a little contamination plus a tolerance issue that is more prone to sticking. Still think it is pretty rare when you consider how many millions of oil pumps of this design are on the road.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

G may be the latest rev but not positive.
Adam

Post by Adam »

bill25 wrote:Yeah, the fix for the issue for mine is either replace the oil pump, or put a stint in the valve...
Does yours even have the oil pressure issue?

I assume that one of the steps while replacing the pump is to install a Sloppy Stage II camshaft...at least that's what happens on the internet.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Does yours even have the oil pressure issue?
As of now... no, but the symptom is sudden failure/no oil pressure. So it seems to be a luck of the draw, and hopefully you shut the engine down before it destroys itself, which according to the internet happens pretty quickly. It does seem to be a very low percent.
Adam

Post by Adam »

You could always do the overfill procedure when you change the oil next time. Which solves the problem forever?