M/T: IntelliChoice best overall value in luxury cars

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

M/T: IntelliChoice best overall value in luxury cars

Post by kevm14 »

Get ready.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/volvo-b ... 2B7486CF51

Now there are a lot of segments and I don't have a list at this time.
Volvo S60—2019 Best Overall Value of the Year Premium Compact Passenger Car

Among compact premium cars, the Volvo S60 stood above the rest with its low insurance, financing, and ownership costs over five years. Compared to the second- and third-place finishers, the BMW 430i and 440i Gran Coupes, respectively, insuring the Volvo is $6,647—that's $3,735 cheaper than the former and a whopping $6,753 less than the latter. At $1,120, the Volvo S60's repairs are also $288 less than the two BMWs over five years. This is a good example of how trim level affects the five-year overall ownership costs; at $62,990, you'll be spending $8,028 extra on the 440i versus the 430i and a massive $12,399 more than the Volvo S60.
BMW 5 Series—2019 Best Overall Value of the Year Luxury Passenger Car

BMWs, like most German luxury cars, are associated with high upkeep, but the 5 Series seems to have bucked the trend. Based on IntelliChoice's data, the BMW 5 Series comes to $67,244 to own over five years, which is $3,819 cheaper than expected. Even its insurance is on the lower end of the spectrum (less than $10,000 over five years). Compared with the second-place Lexus GS 300 and third-place BMW Alpina B7, the 5 Series was among the cheapest to insure, and it didn't take as big of a hit on depreciation—$35,990 over five years—which is better than most luxury cars, especially European ones.
I should read more closely and see what is going on. Low insurance definitely helps. For other ownership costs, I am betting that included maintenance and stuff is a key factor (rather than some kind of exemplary reliability because, after all, if the warranty covers stuff that breaks, and included maintenance covers mostly everything else, yeah, your predicted costs will be low over some time period). Surprisingly to me, this also seems to take into account depreciation (which I would expect to fall off a cliff beyond the period of predictable recurring costs). But again, you'd also have to compare with other segments. It would be more interesting, in fact, to see what the best luxury car does against something more mainstream.