07 S550: oil change

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

07 S550: oil change

Post by kevm14 »

Uneventful except that I got all 9 quarts out after almost 5100 miles. Here is the proof.
20220515_170152.jpg

I feel like I can call that zero oil consumption.

Other fun facts include that I realized O'Reilly auto parts (my closest auto parts store) carries Wix oil filters for both my S550 and E55. They do not carry the XP version for my E55 (and there is no XP version for the S550). But that's still pretty good.

I did have some trouble resetting the service interval with the scan tool. Ended up using the steering wheel button method and that worked with no issues.

There is an FCP Euro article that may be relevant also: https://blog.fcpeuro.com/the-definitive ... 73-engines
In 2017, we campaigned an M272-equipped C300 in the AER series. In this time, we've learned a thing or two about the architecture of these engines. The only modification we made was the single-stage composite manifold offered in the SLK. This wasn't mandatory, it was just more suitable for continuous high RPM operation that’s common in a racing environment. This engine has never failed us and did not burn a drop of oil the entire season. Since the M272/M273 has been in production for the last fifteen years or so, many of its common ailments are well documented and easy to reference.
aer-mercedes-2.jpg

The M272 is the V6 version of the M273. No oil consumption in a race application seems impressive. Maybe these aren't known consumers. I just assumed they would be...
kevm14

Re: 07 S550: oil change

Post by kevm14 »

7 months later, another successful oil change interval. Consumption was practically zero as before.

This time I bought that new oil-in-a-bag 12 qt economy pack of the M1 0W-40 Euro. I ended up dispensing it into an opened 5 qt jug of the same oil and used that but I made a huge mess because I was incapable of holding the jug in the stream of oil as it was dispensing. If I had one of those professional watering can style containers that would probably make some sense. Otherwise, I feel like I'd rather pay the extra $0.50/qt to cut down on mess. This oil is already surprisingly cheap at around $5-5.50/qt.
20230107_103029.jpg
Also, Walmart didn't seem to have anything other than this choice for this oil (in stock). O'Rielly's had 5 qt just for $35 or so which probably would have been the ticket (they also had the filter, so one stop). The filter is $20 though...
20230107_094946_HDR.jpg
The main under cover was totally dry also. Just the lightest drop collecting on the front diff, as before. I have no idea what fluid that actually is, btw.

Reset service interval instructions because I can't remember each time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNM6pPs9B8U

I also greased the rest of the main suspension ball joints with my piercing needle. The original joint that I solved the dry squeak on is still holding grease pressure (and I should consider relieving it because as the boot deteriorates, that will eventually tear). There are 7 ball type joints per side in the front:
- Main lower ball joint
- Thrust arm ball joint
- Upper ball joint
- Outer tie rod
- Upper stabilizer link
- Lower stabilizer link
- Strut to spring lower control arm
20230107_112725.jpg
I only greased the main ball joints not the other stuff. Maybe next time I'll do the other ones, too. The rear has some joints, too...

Brakes all checked out.
20230107_112708.jpg
Also rotated the tires. There does seem to be some inside wear on at least the right rear but I didn't study it too closely. I did the Cadillac rotation - fronts cross to rear, rears straight to front. I did this last time and it seems like it caused a light pull to the right. That seems to be mostly gone after this next round. I rotate every oil change, 5,000 miles. Heavy car, expensive tires. It's worth the hassle, plus I should inspect the brakes and stuff anyway. With the Quick Jack, I do my oil changes on the lift rather than ramps so a rotation is easier than it has ever been.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Another oil change. About 5,000 miles, and right at 96k. I used up my remaining stash of M1 0W-40 euro that I had in some 5 quart jugs. And I used the last drops of my 12 quart box of it. Both 5 quart jugs were open. Tried to put in about 9 quarts. Didn't check dipstick. It'll be fine.

I did use this oil change to perform a general inspection (as always) and found some things.

I did also rotate the tires using the Cadillac rotation scheme. Rears to the front, fronts cross to the back.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

And another. Switched to Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40. It actually smells cleaner than any other oil. Something something natural gas.

101,182 miles.

Also did the coolant tank, transmission mount, brake flush. Broke a lug bolt but saved it.