2014 Malibu: TPMS relearn

Wiring, DIY, lighting, etc.
kevm14

2014 Malibu: TPMS relearn

Post by kevm14 »

I rotated the tires on the Malibu so I had to relearn the tire positions so the display is correct. First I tried the technique from my Cadillacs. Turn ignition on, hold lock and unlock on the remote, and that usually turns on the relearn mode. This did not work on the Malibu. I searched around for a while and finally realized they made it easier than the older vehicles. You just go to the tire pressure display in the cluster and hold down the button on the end of the stalk. It will ask if you want to go into relearn mode. Flick the selecter up to 'Yes.' The horn will honk twice and the left front turn signals will be on (steady), indicating that it is ready to learn the left front. The SRX does this but my STS and CTS-V did not. Too old I think.

Anyway, I tried to add and remove air pressure from the left front (which is the procedure on the Cadillacs) and it WOULD NOT learn that position. This means you can't move onto other positions as well. I did notice that the sensor seemed slow to update on the cluster so I figured maybe the battery is just low. I tried driving the car and doing the procedure again but no dice. So I gave up and bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BK693N?ps ... ct_details

I figured for $10 it was worth a try. It's basically a sensor stimulator. Rather than using air pressure to trigger a sensor Tx this wand just makes it. Sounded good.

I received the unit, put an old 9V battery in it and turned on relearn mode. I tried placing the wand at the valve stem and at different directions against the wheel. Nothing was working. Finally, I read the directions and it said to point the wand against the tire sidewall above the valve stem. I tried that. IT WORKED! The horn honked and the turn signal lit up the right front. I was able to go around the car in the typical clockwise order and I got all four tires relearned with no issues at all.

A neighbor was over in her 2010 Subaru Outback. She said the TPMS light flashes unless she drives the car a very long distance (like 45 minutes). First I checked the air pressure and everything was good. Then I said, well, maybe my new TPMS wand will work on this car and wake all the sensors up, satisfying the computer. I started at the left front, still flashing. Right front. Still flashing. Right rear. Light went out!! Did the left rear just in case.

So yeah, looks like she has a lazy right rear sensor. I was able to determine that with my $10 wand. How cool is that?
20221203_165103.jpg