E-Brake

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
dochielomn

E-Brake

Post by dochielomn »

Me, posting in the car part of this forum? Yeah, I know, a shock to everyone. So here's the question (since I didn't see anything about brakes in any other part of this foum)- how dangerous or bad is it to drive with the E-Brake on/enaged? Like, say you drove 20-30 miles (with like 20 miles being on the highway), are you in danger of damaging your regular brakes (not me, I hardly ever use my e-brake, asking on the behalf of someone else...)?

Berman
Adam

Re: E-Brake

Post by Adam »

It the emergency make-the-car-smell-funny-lever.

But seriously, if it is engaged too much for too long, it can damage the brakes. It depends on what type of car as to whether the regular braking system is affected by this or just the emergency brake system.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

2009 or 2010 Civic is the car in question. The report that I was getting was that with the e-brake on, the person had to really slam on the regular brakes in order for the car to slow down/stop. I'm guessing the next time the car gets serviced for like an oil change (something basic), they'll ask to get the brakes inspected as well.
Adam

Post by Adam »

dochielomn wrote:2009 or 2010 Civic is the car in question. The report that I was getting was that with the e-brake on, the person had to really slam on the regular brakes in order for the car to slow down/stop. I'm guessing the next time the car gets serviced for like an oil change (something basic), they'll ask to get the brakes inspected as well.
If it has rear drum brakes, they would have been partially engaged the whole time, heating them up and making them less effective.