Engine Swaps

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
Adam

Re: Engine Swaps

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:I know my father-in-law left the stock tank in his 83 C10...works fine.
The carb tank will probably be fine. Unless it has rust. Or the car does a lot of high speed cornering.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Adam wrote:
Fast_Ed wrote:Does the monte have posi?
It was an option that mine does not have. The car has somewhere between 90-120K on it (haven't looked at the odometer in a while), so the factory diff probably needs some service/replacement anyway. Also I didn't drive it gently with the 305.
You want a Truetrac. Worth the coin. Or you could drive the stupid 7.5" until it fails then deal with it.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:
Adam wrote:
Fast_Ed wrote:Does the monte have posi?
It was an option that mine does not have. The car has somewhere between 90-120K on it (haven't looked at the odometer in a while), so the factory diff probably needs some service/replacement anyway. Also I didn't drive it gently with the 305.
You want a Truetrac. Worth the coin. Or you could drive the stupid 7.5" until it fails then deal with it.
The Caprice has a differential, a wide differential. One thing that might be interesting is swapping the rear disc from the Caprice onto the Monte somehow.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

You may be able to adapt the backing plates to bolt to your axle flanges, but I would be shocked if it bolted right up.

To fit that axle in a G-body, I'm sure you'd have to either cut and re-weld the axle housing (and use some custom length axles), or if it isn't preposterously wide, run rear wheels with custom back spacing.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think the 7.5" will hold up fine with an auto.

If you have a 28-spline, this is your guy:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-9 ... /chevrolet

Rebate until the end of the year, bringing it under $400. Not bad at all.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:I think the 7.5" will hold up fine with an auto.
A guy I used to work with had an '88 SS and installed a later model 454 than what I had, also from a truck. He added a mild cam with an aftermarket intake and carb but kept the original 200-4R and stock open diff and didn't blow anything up. At least not in the year and a half he had the car while we worked together. The car had a lot of torque. Also, he wasn't running slicks and making drag strip level launches all the time.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Fast_Ed wrote:Found this:
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/81518/
Accessories are a concern.
Fortunately, I have all the B-body parts (in the car still). The A/C compressor mounting will be a concern. The factory A/C system was mostly removed due to a compressor failure (and a desire for incredible weight savings). I don't remember what components I still have. I do have a whole B-body worth of working A/C, so that is something. I have grown accustomed to A/C recently for some reason. I am not concerned about power steering as the G-body steering box is the same style and is mounted in the same position as the B-body so using all the B-body hoses should solve the problem.

In the article you linked to they were using an F-body donor drive train and mounts. Maybe the B-body mounts don't have that weird offset to them?

The transmission mount is of some concern. The 200-4R and 700-R4/4L60E have their mounting locations at different points, so some modifications will be need. I do have a TH400 that is a direct bolt in, just doesn't have enough gears.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Car Craft loved these cars back in the day.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/sw ... 2_inchers/
Adam

Post by Adam »

Might want to make a new topic for this. Spreadsheet with Caprice parts and possible uses: http://sdrv.ms/1eraPEo
Not sure if I want to make it editable in SkyDrive. Can't this forum run a Sharepoint server?

Also, I can't attach XLS or XLSX files to posts? I did, however, create this spreadsheet using the Excel web app from a Linux PC.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

What, can't zip anything?

And I swear to god if you upload a TAR.......go on.