Saturn P0404

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
Fast_Ed

Saturn P0404

Post by Fast_Ed »

My daily commuter, a sweet manual Saturn SC2, has a repeated check engine light. It shows a P0404 which indicates an 'EGR Range/Performance Error.' It also sometimes gives a P1404, which is a manufacturer specific version of the EGR code.

I tried cleaning the EGR and replacing the gasket this weekend. It was very cruddy. The pintle valve was pretty stuck, but after pushing on it with a pick, it was able to move freely again.

However, I got the P0404 error on every afternoon commute this week, for a total of three. So cleaning it wasn't the problem. Rockauto had a new Delphi unit, which I have ordered. I was able to get it for $66.17 shipped using the discount code from this site's 'General Forum.'

So we'll see if that works. Stay tuned for the other error code, which is far more challenging.
kevm14

Re: Saturn P0404

Post by kevm14 »

On the Maxima I had to perform pretty significant cleaning to remedy the EGR issue. I did not replace the valve. This is obviously a totally different engine but don't rule out the possibility of having to clean things on the engine side.