Garden tractor acquisition

Mower trouble? Are 2-cycle engines the bane of your existence?
kevm14

Re: Garden tractor acquisition

Post by kevm14 »

My Simplicity engine says mid-December 1987. So probably a 1988 model. Cool.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Better.
20190502_191416.jpg
20190502_191423.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

First I did the throttle cable hold down bolt. I drilled and could not seem to extract the bolt so I re-tapped to the #8-32 size. Turns out there wasn't enough meat left and the bolt had nothing to hold onto and just turned...then I tapped to a #12-24 except you cannot find a #12 bolt locally, anywhere. I could have ordered anything I wanted online obviously as #12 is a real size but everyone goes from #10 to 1/4". Somehow #12 has rendered itself uncommon. So I tapped again to 1/4-28 (fine thread) and bought a stainless bolt and washer. I had to add another washer but that all worked. To set the throttle cable position, I pushed the lever wide open, then pulled the throttle cable until the throttle linkage was at wide open. I held it there while I tightened the bolt. This worked. Now I have idle to full throttle. Here are some pics. I broke the tip of a drill bit but was able to keep using it, and had to keep stepping up anyway. Also this hole seemed to be blind. Just hope I didn't like poke into the intake manifold when I enlarged the hole...
20190504_140739.jpg
20190504_140744.jpg
20190504_142340.jpg
20190504_162157.jpg
20190504_181828.jpg
This engine doesn't seem to govern the idle speed like my Simplicity does. This annoys me but doesn't really matter. It could also be because some of the throttle/governor stuff is worn or not set properly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Then I did the drive belt. The old belt was pretty bad. However the rocking tensioner that moves with the foot pedal seems worn and it moves around on an axis that it shouldn't. Also it kind of seems like a slightly shorter belt would be better but after replacing it drove around with no slippage. I did however smell smoke and then saw smoke. Something on top of the trans was like smoldering. Some kind of nest or dry grass or something. I blew off the transaxle housing and didn't seem to have any more issues with that. No pics of that.

Then I did the coil. Looks like the original coil. Also the heads were pretty clean but I blew off anyway. Fortunately I got the narrow, long coil bolts out without breaking anything. I gapped to 0.013". The instructions said 0.010 to 0.014 but I forgot what I did on mine because I think my manual said something different. I will check.
20190504_181802.jpg
20190504_181805.jpg
Need to replace this fuel line. It is looking pretty old.
20190504_181808.jpg
20190504_181832.jpg
Old coil. Looking very sad with taped wires and everything. It was due for sure.
20190504_203057.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

After that I drove it around for a while. I tried to adjust the steering rod so the steering wheel is centered. Yeah you can make fun of me and yes I do like a centered steering wheel. However, it turns out there is a functional reason. The steering rack limits itself left and right to max lock. Because of this, if the wheel isn't centered, it will turn sharper to one direction than the other. I ran out of travel in the joint so I will have to cut off like 1/4" of stud and that will probably work. Also it seems like the parts tractor has a less worn track bar so I will swap that, too. I also grabbed all the engine tin/shield bolts and used those since mine had some weird hodgepodge. Of course that meant adding a bolt that was missing and tightening some bolts that were oddly loose. Turns out the flywheel mesh now scrapes on the engine cover. That may be why those were loose. I guess something is bent. I did remove the mesh and tried to bent it to lay as low on the flywheel as possible but it still scrapes. I will let it self-clearance or deal with it again next time I have the engine cover off (which is probably soon, see below).

It also needs new front wheel bushings. I mean, you could run these a long while longer but things should be right and there is plenty of play there when you rock the tire. Mine needed them, too.

Have a few issues to report. First it doesn't seem to be charging anymore. I measured 12.5V at full throttle. Not sure what happened. Also, the headlights don't work but they BRIEFLY came on (like 15 seconds) but they weren't full brightness. Then they went off. So....unless there is a wiring issue I will probably try swapping the "generator" ring from the parts machine. Hopefully it works. It could be a ground or something I guess. But this will require pulling the flywheel which doesn't excite me. Fortunately I can practice on the parts machine. The battery did a ton of cranking so I should work out a more permanent installation which involves 1) hold down and 2) positive terminal wiring and maybe 3) less sketchy terminal bolts.

Also of concern, I ran it out of gas. This wouldn't be an issue but when I filled it back up, it would not restart. Starting fluid did nothing. Sounds familiar. Pulled the tin off, looked at everything. Checked and cleaned the plugs. Eventually it started up and was fine though I put a good amount of MMO in and I think it was working some things through the carb. It also seems to need choke to restart even hot. Leads me back to the carb rebuild which I still have on the list. I did seem to work some junk through the carb by alternating open and closed choke. Plus it blew some sweet MMO smoke which is satisfying since it is cleaning all the garbage out of everything.

Anyway not sure what that issue is - it's a brand new coil so..

I should have verified spark using the screwdriver method or something I guess. If no spark, other than the gap, I dunno. I could try cleaning the flywheel and stuff. I should have done this before.

I parked it under the deck behind my machine so at least it won't get full rain.

Oh, for oil I ended up with Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic (or semi?). Delo does make a 10W-30 but only sold at Autozone. Hopefully the 5W-40 is a good choice. I need to get that old oil out of there next chance I get.

One last thing. The metallic rapping sound was a pulley guard rubbing on the engine drive pulley. Yay. I still rate the engine as "fine."
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

More playing with the battery voltage.

I really only got it up to 12.86V or so after running full speed for a while. The charging system is doing something but not sure if the improper voltage is because the battery is bad or because there is something wrong with the generator. I may swap the battery from my machine in to see if it charges more normally. The headlights haven't started working again.

But I did change the oil. Had to hold back the drain pipe since the cap was on so tight but I got it. Oil was pretty dark. I flushed it a little with some old M1 10W-30 that I had around. Added my Rotella T6 5W-40. Hopefully it likes it. I should be OK to drive it around in warmer weather since there is really no load on it. I filled up the gas all the way also to help dilute my large amount of MMO that I put in.
20190505_155843.jpg
After that I felt better about running it at full speed. I got like 12.86V out of it before becoming bored and shutting it off.
20190505_163114.jpg
Would be nice to know if the generator was dumping the full rated 4A in but I doubt it. My Battery Tender is rated at like 2A or 1.25A and it went green status so this battery took some kind of a charge. It is unlikely that at 4A, it is under 13V. No I'd say I probably will need to replace the generator thingy. I will try the parts machine though that is a lot of work for an unknown (R&R the flywheel). Plus that may fix the headlight issue and I think I'd really like working headlights with this rig. I also need to figure out the battery terminals and hold-down. Cannot leave it the way it is but I guess I will fix the charging issue first then deal with securing the battery.

Vid 1: https://youtu.be/02gzQAhJV-0
Vid 2: https://youtu.be/nw5721BoTM8

No weird issues today.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Got my foam handle grip. Seems nice enough. I had to use two hands to put it on. Yeah that's right.
20190506_193321.jpg
20190506_193441.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Tractor Supply had a good selection of fuel filters.
20190511_140628.jpg
They also had good NGK plugs. Air filters. Even fuel line. Good belt selection.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Got out my Simplicity to finally mow. It was overdue.
20190511_153644.jpg
20190511_153803.jpg
Then I dragged the aerator around the yard for a while. Put down an entire bag of seed. Added starter fertilizer to the front area where I did not seed before.

Oh, my Simplicity ran well. Then I decided to adjust the parking brake again. Ended up snapping the actuator bracket!! Goddamnit. The parts machine uses a different bracket since it has a different transaxle. I may request that Adam take a look at it. I think it can be welded. I don't see why not. I wonder if my parking brake is stuck or something.
20190511_200541.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

But before I was able to mow I had to start the green Deutz to move it out of the way since it was blocking my Simplicity. It cranked very momentarily then stopped suddenly. It sounded hydrolocked. But could it be??

https://youtu.be/xVtfDCdnQg8

Yes. Unfortunately, gas leaked through the carb, completely filled the intake manifold, filled the cylinders and then started going into the crankcase. I pulled the plugs and cranked it over. Gas was coming out of the plug holes AND the muffler. Damn. Put the plugs back in and it started right up but I only ran it for a minute to drive it around to the front. Hopefully I did not hurt the engine. This forced my hand so I will need to rebuild the carb. I will also replace the fuel line from the tank to the carb and add a new fuel filter.

I got the carb off and you can see gas just sitting in the intake manifold. As to why this happened, I don't think it was the MMO necessarily. I filled it all the way up which was new. The carb rebuild should take care of it as the needle was just not sealing. I will have to raise the gas tank up to get to the nipple on the bottom and that will require pulling the steering wheel. Not a huge deal.
20190511_191828.jpg
20190511_191833.jpg
20190511_191836.jpg