Non-repair car talk
Fast_Ed

Re: E39 BMW LS1 w/ turbo

Post by Fast_Ed »

I want this badly.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

This is more of a money bags swap (in terms of parts cost - he does his own wrenching) but I'll still read through it: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ng-project

Engine: http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/080 ... sx_engine/
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Best quote from another poster in the LSX 427 thread, after he test fit the new engine:
god I'll never get over how much room there is with the LS engines in there...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Someone questioned him about his love for wagons. He had this to say:
Haha. My wife has finally gotten used to it. I have been wagon obsessed since 1995 (earlier if you count the Nash Rambler I wanted as a kid). 95 was the year I got my license and saw my first yellow Volvo T5-R. I was hooked ever since. My goal is to have a collection. I want the following. All in wagon/touring form of course.

95 cream yellow Volvo T5-R
White Mercedes 2008+ E55 or E63
White 2014 CTS-V
66 Nova
64 Bel air
72 Datsun 510
E34 Euro M5
Chevy Nomad

These would be considerally more difficult to acquire
Nissan Stagea with R34 front end conversion
RS6 avant
American, Japanese and European choices...well that's well rounded.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Somehow his experimental crate LSX ended up with bearing material all over the oil filter and drain plug. So it's out. I'm still in March of this year so we'll see what happens.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

By April he had some tentative answers:
Just talked to my machine guy. He cracked into it this weekend. So far he said the thrust and main bearings are chewed up but not too bad. Main caps, thrust and rods all look good. No discoloring etc. He should have the rest of the results soon but so far he is feeling pretty good about it
The chewed up piece of plastic I found is most likely a valve seal. My friend who got me the motor never felt great about the way the new seals snapped in. Unfortunately, this issue wasn't fully realized until my car ran low on oil one day this past winter. I had hoped I caught it in time but apparently not. But it seems the damage is minimal so far.
The results are in. It was the valve seals. He also said the spring seats were smaller than the seals. Half the seals were gone. Many had ridded up the stem. Lastly, he felt the springs were a little soft too but he will check all that. It seems I got lucky as he said he is confident he can just polish the crank to remove the bearing materials. It will need a light honing, new rings, bearings, seals and an oil pump.
I had a feeling something like this would happen with a new engine (only dyno time). This kind of thing doesn't happen to a $500 junkyard special with 160k on it. Kinda funny how that works.
Talked to the builder again. He is ready for parts to put it back together. Luckily rods, crank and block are absolutely fine. He said I really got lucky catching it in time. He also said I have some serious high $ parts in that motor I will need a new oil pump, timing chain, gears, bearings, seals and gaskets. Hoping to have it running again by the end of the month. Can't wait. Funny I have been so spoiled by torque that it felt super slow when I drove my dad's new to him NSX today.