M/T: Macan vs GLC 300 vs Evoque

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

M/T: Macan vs GLC 300 vs Evoque

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsche ... C6DD63B716

This class really pisses me off. These guys are going down market but also really torturing the language among other things. For example, Mercedes using the word "Coupe" in the model name of this compact luxury crossover. Hard to articulate how mad that makes me.
With a base price of $52,250, the Macan is the cheapest new Porsche you can buy. For that you get the SUV that is far and away the driver's choice of this bunch, but not much else. Although the Porsche does come with the best infotainment system of this trio, stuff that's standard on the other two—even basics like heated front seats and keyless entry, never mind fashion items like 19-inch (Mercedes) or 20-inch (Range Rover) wheels—costs extra. In fact, if the Macan were specified to have a similar level of equipment as the $56,795 Evoque HSE R-Dynamic, which comes standard with high-tech goodies such as adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist, you'd be looking at spending more than $67,000.

In terms of base price, the $50,995 GLC 300 Coupe easily looks like the value buy. But although you might get flashier wheels than the Macan, you don't get an infotainment system with the same level of functionality. And when you look carefully at the standard equipment list, you'll soon find you'd have to spend almost $58,000 for a GLC 300 Coupe fitted out to the same level as the $56,795 Evoque.
This class of vehicle does absolutely nothing for me. I just see dollar signs for the manufacturers above anything else. It's almost formulaic. German + starting price in the $50k range + crossover/SUV = print the money.
kevm14

Re: M/T: Macan vs GLC 300 vs Evoque

Post by kevm14 »

The Mercedes is extra ugly because of their insistence on using the word "coupe."
MB GLC 300 side.PNG
MB GLC 300 rear 3-4.PNG

I saw an Evoque in traffic like Sunday. I gasped in horror. The rear is weird and rounded. Awful.
Range Rover Evoque.PNG

The Macan is the least offensive imo.
Porsche Macan side.PNG

Its "SUV" credentials seem like a joke though. I would be surprised if they didn't get this stuck a few times when taking these advertising shots. Just looks ridiculous.
Porsche Macan beach.PNG

All 3
Macan GLC 300 Evoque.PNG

I know why I hate this class. It seems like a second round of ugliness that I thought sort of passed, like the Accord Crosstour or the Murano convertible.
image.png

This kind of vehicle only looks good big imo (for the record, the FWD-based X3 and X1 I think also look goofy and they've been around for a while), though I will grant the Porsche the "least ugly" award. It's almost attractive in that it resembles a smaller Cayenne. It's also the best driving. Value is questionable as usual but plenty of people will be happy to own a Porsche at this price point. Time will tell if all of these brands can maintain their luxury image despite increasing numbers of down market offerings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.