Jeep WK2 Brakes - 145k mi

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
rpaoness

Jeep WK2 Brakes - 145k mi

Post by rpaoness »

Bought Jeep with a somewhat-nasty steering wheel shake when hitting the brakes at 60+mph hard. I have now removed and sanded the surfaces of both front brake rotors (which really look to be relatively new/clean, no corrosion, no obvious wear). Seems much better, but I'm not convinced it's really "cured". I intend to run it for at least a few hundred miles and then see how it is. It does need pads relatively soon (uneven wear inner vs. outer pads - no obviously stuck caliper or slide pins, but it could all use a good cleaning and lube.

If I have to do rotors, I wonder if the RockAuto Raybestos high carbon Specialty truck disc is worth looking into. I have "heavy duty" brakes, which I think means 350mm front rotors. I believe the SRTs got 380mm, normal V6 non-tow package 330mm.
kevm14

Re: Jeep WK2 Brakes - 145k mi

Post by kevm14 »

I am also a fan of the E-coated rotor hats. I still don't think your rotors are "warped."
rpaoness

Post by rpaoness »

Agreed, although now that the severe vibration seems to be less dramatic, I do think I can feel a little pulsing in the pedal. Which would be surface-to-surface warpage. So we'll see.
rpaoness

Post by rpaoness »

Replaced rotors and pads, cleaned and greased pins and all surfaces pads touch. New rotors. Balanced both front tires - one was ok, other needed about 2 oz of weights. Drives much better now. Hopefully Raybestos element3 rotors are ok and last for a while.