Used SS vs Used CTS-V

Non-repair car talk
bill25

Used SS vs Used CTS-V

Post by bill25 »

The SS is the same drive train as the Camaro.

Why would you buy a used SS over a used CTS-V, where performance is basically the same, and the CTS-V looks way, way, way, way, way, way better.

Please explain. I thought you said the CTS-V wasn't that quick.

What's up, what's up,
-Bill
kevm14

Re: Used SS vs Used CTS-V

Post by kevm14 »

My car gets up to 26mpg highway at about 70mph, with the A/C on. That's not too shabby.

On your commute you'd probably average 18-20 depending on traffic and driving style. Ok, you COULD get 13 if you drove like a total Rhode Islander.

My car is definitely slower than an LS3 Camaro. It has a heavy flywheel which is part of the contributor. The RWHP of those, despite the 400 at the flywheel, is like 325-330, which is quite a bit of loss. Of course if you get one with an aluminum flywheel then I'll become your new best friend. In fact the only thing really wrong with the car would be rectified by a light aftermarket flywheel.

The SS would actually be a replacement for the Caprice, not the CTS-V. It's one size larger, automatic only (until 2015) but still has all the dynamics GM has been known for lately.

The CTS-V, stock, is probably good for a low 13 @ 105. I've seen 13.1 @ 109 but I'm not sure I believe that. The slowest Camaro SS is going to be around that, only going up from there. I think the SS is also a bit faster, but not a whole lot.

I only said I have become accustomed to the performance of my CTS-V. It's not OMG fast anymore. But by driving it as infrequently as I do, that helps extend the performance feel since it's still a novelty. Also keep in mind I like the handling and brakes, not just the acceleration.