Caprice FS

Non-repair car talk
Adam

Re: Caprice FS

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:
Adam wrote:Fun fact: it looks like the aftermarket cat-back system is the same part numbers between the 9C1 and non-9C1 cars. Also the ball flange on the converter attaches to the intermediate pipe rather than the Y-pipe, so the 9C1 Y-pipe and converter will bolt in w/o any adapters. Score.
On the catback, look closely because the 91 used the civilian exhaust while the 92-93 had a bigger system. I don't believe the catback is the same on the 92-93 L05 9C1 cars.
Rock Auto says the 92 L03 and the 9C1 L05 have the same PN's for intermediate pipe and muffler. I didn't verify the tailpipe is the same, but it should be. That's not to say that the OEM pieces were different, though. Remember, this car had some of the cat-back stuff replaced before, so its already got aftermarket things there that should be compatible with either aftermarket cat (and theoretically the OEM Y-pipe from a 9C1).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yes, see my correction in previous post. 92-93 L05 9C1 was 3" into cat, then all systems were 2-1/2" out of cat into muffler and 2-1/4" to tailpipe.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:Yes, see my correction in previous post. 92-93 L05 9C1 was 3" into cat, then all systems were 2-1/2" out of cat into muffler and 2-1/4" to tailpipe.
I think we were both posting that at the same time.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:Fun redneck suggestion: Sawzall the Y pipe north of the cat enough to open up some flow. Maybe just a single cut will flow enough exhaust to let it run a little better and be drivable, but not so much flow that it attracts police attention. I have a Ryobi cordless reciprocating saw...
That would save the trouble of towing it...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It may be relevant to note that my cat actually broke apart and that's why the exhaust was clogged (chunks of ceramic honeycomb). I don't think it actually "clogged." And why would it with fuel injection and no real oil consumption at that time?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Adam wrote:
kevm14 wrote:Fun redneck suggestion: Sawzall the Y pipe north of the cat enough to open up some flow. Maybe just a single cut will flow enough exhaust to let it run a little better and be drivable, but not so much flow that it attracts police attention. I have a Ryobi cordless reciprocating saw...
That would save the trouble of towing it...
Speaking of towing it, Ed wouldn't have any objections to towing it with the Roadmaster, if it had a Class III hitch. But not on a Class II hitch.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I don't think it has any external oil cooler. It may not even have one in the rad. That's all fine. One less thing to leak.
Adam

Post by Adam »

So Jenn is out. For...reasons. Who's next on the Caprice list?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I dunno. If the Maxima was fatally injured, I'd probably buy it and ditch the Maxima. But it just needs a clutch (and just got brakes and tires). Plus it's faster, gets better fuel economy, and has a better stereo. And it's already in front of my house. So I'm not in the market for this Caprice, either.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I already have too many car projects. And no time for anything. Except posting to a forum.