AutoWeek reviews the 2014 Chevy SS

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
kevm14

AutoWeek reviews the 2014 Chevy SS

Post by kevm14 »

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013120 ... dailydrive

And I want this. It's basically a G8 GXP, with some new refinements. And for not much more than what lower mile G8 GXPs are actually selling for...

The biggest "downside" is that the styling doesn't reflect the performance. And you know what? I like that. I never liked the Charger's styling, preferring the 300C since 2005. Flying under the radar is better.

LS3 and 6L80 only. That's ok. This would make a fantastic replacement for my Caprice, but they're looking at 4,000/yr for volume. It may hold onto its resale value.

Zeta is still a great platform. It's light, huge inside, dynamic. All enviable traits. Loaded up (only one way) for $45k.
It's coincidence that the SS's length and wheelbase match the new Cadillac CTS. The CTS starts with GM's Alpha platform, shared with the compact Cadillac ATS and built in Lansing, Mich. The SS starts with Zeta, which in its previous iteration provided the foundation for the Camaro and Pontiac G8, and it's built in Australia. Evolution from the last Zeta includes more high-strength steels, a 66-pound weight reduction, new suspension layout and new electrical system.

The SS is big, with the same interior volume and 35 percent more trunk space than a Mercedes-Benz S-Class, according to the EPA, on a substantially shorter wheelbase. No one at Chevy is comparing the two, though the SS looks like good value at half the price of an S550. It's as quick off the line and faster (161 mph top speed) -- and we'd guess quicker 'round a racetrack, with more grip.

Straight up marketplace competition is limited. It probably doesn't included the V6-powered Ford Taurus SHO, which is smaller inside and heavier than the SS. The SS's only direct competitor might be the Dodge Charger SRT8.

The Charger's larger, iron-block Hemi has the power advantage, with 55 hp and 55 lb-ft more than the SS LS3. The Dodge, on the other hand, weighs nearly 400 pounds more; with that, the power-to-weight ratio evens out dramatically. Brake specs are essentially identical. The Charger offers adaptive suspension. The SS has an extra gear in its automatic, a bit more tire, more standard equipment and $2,000 price edge.
How's It Drive?

What's there to say about the LS3 V8 that hasn't been said? It's compact and less expensive to build than overhead cam engines. It's not afraid to rev, and it's much better than acceptably smooth.

Most significantly, it delivers giant wads of torque right where you want them. In the SS, the transition from part throttle to full-on is sweetly smooth, without no angry reaction from the rear end. This car tolerates bravado or silliness without vengeance. The transmission works for every purpose, be it lazy, comfortable self-shifting, precise, speedy manual operation or something in between. The traction/throttle and anti-skid electronics present a genuine scale in the car's reactions, from protective to well, you're on your own, kid. We'd guess that's a credit to the quality of the development drivers and engineers GM employs these days.

There probably isn't an enthusiast driver who would describe the SS's road-going demeanor as uncomfortable. The performance tires exact a toll in terms of rumble and chatter, to be sure, but they fit the SS's intent. The chassis is structurally solid, and it isn't sanitized for anyone's comfort or protection. This full-size Chevy is surprisingly light on its feet, and almost never feels big. It's civilized but not desensitized in any notable fashion.

That may be the biggest thing of all, or the biggest surprise to anyone who remembers the rear-drive Impala SS 18 years ago -- the balance. Balance here means less specifically weight balance and more the equal, consistent competence of the drivetrain, chassis, and overall dynamics. The sensitivity of the SS' steering or its reaction to throttle and brake inputs or the consistency of its opposite-corner tire patches don't fall off dramatically when it reaches the limits of grip. Call it organic or holistic or integrated. Whichever label you prefer, it was reserved for BMWs and a handful of other sedans when the 1996 Impala SS roamed the earth. Now it comes with a big ol' trunk and a bowtie.
kevm14

Re: AutoWeek reviews the 2014 Chevy SS

Post by kevm14 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMAYMek8aNc

I think this has every option and feature my CTS-V has, plus some more. That's kinda funny. I don't think it has quite the all out track worthiness off the showroom floor as my CTS-V with FG2 shocks (check the rear brake rotor size, not sure about front cooling ducts, etc.), but that doesn't matter. That's why I say it's a replacement for my Caprice, not my CTS-V. Now we play the waiting game.

Back to reality, this is a lot more affordable: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... ex=6&Log=0

And this is really affordable: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... ex=6&Log=0
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Automobile review: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/dr ... vrolet_ss/

It begins like this:
A ghost is haunting Woodward Avenue late on a Saturday night, disturbing the silence that stretches all the way from downtown Detroit through the economic wasteland near Hamtramck to the slumbering suburbs above 8 Mile. Few cars are on the road. A Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution heading northwest around Pontiac is clearly just going home, and yet its driver can't resist the challenge when an unfamiliar-looking large sedan rolls up next to him in a low gear. He takes off hard at the next stoplight and probably thinks he's escaped when it comes up behind him, roaring and pulling hard past his front fender at 80 mph. This happens three or four times until he finally lowers his window, astonished, and asks, "What is that thing?" It's the 2014 Chevrolet SS -- a big, rear-wheel-drive Chevrolet sedan with a 415-hp V-8. It's a ghost.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

C&D instrumented test: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... est-review

Goddamn. 12.9 @ 111. Grip, braking. It makes the numbers.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

You know what? This thing makes numbers within spitting distance of a 2001 C5 Z06.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/200 ... z06-review

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/200 ... te-z06.pdf

Just for fun let's look at the numbers for a moment. Both from C&D instrumented tests.

Code: Select all

2001 Z06      2014 Chevy SS
0-60:           4.3              4.5
0-100          10.0             10.5
5-60:           4.9              5.1
1/4:          12.7@113        12.9@111
70-0:          152ft            153ft
Grip:          0.98g            0.95g
Weight:       3126 lbs         3931 lbs
Price:      $50,500 (est)     $45,770
C/D mpg:       17               17
Weight bias: 53.5/46.5%        52/48%
Other 2001 benchmarks were the Viper GTS, 911 Carrera and BMW M Coupe. The Viper beat the Z06 in acceleration by a small amount but the Z06 beat the others in braking and grip. The SS nearly matches the Z06's numbers - with an automatic.

The thing is, the C5 Z06 level of numbers is totally adequate for me. I don't need any more than that. But all the dynamics/feel stuff I have come to really value (yes Bob, it's true), so I am thrilled it is there. At least it is according to the auto rags. It's a good sign that they all seem to agree on that.

So that's the numbers. The review indicates a dynamic capability (and feel) that is probably best in class. And don't forget this platform is as big as an S550 inside (including rear legroom). This isn't even the long wheelbase Zeta!

And even comparing 2001 price to 2014 price, it's STILL cheaper. And loaded with tech, as that's how they all come for 2014 (stuff like self-parallel parking and that kind of nonsense). BOSE, navi, collision alert, lane depature, heated/vented seats, etc. etc. The point is, it's not some stripper sedan with a spartan interior. From a used car standpoint, that's exactly what you want. So you pick on color, sunroof and general mileage/condition/price only. Just like when I was shopping for my CTS-V. No engine choices to worry about. No options to worry about ("well I gotta find one with the tech package so I get navi and bluetooth" or "I need leather so I get the auto climate control" or "I need the track package so I get front Brembos, posi diff and FE4 suspension" or BS like that). I think this is a sigificant advantage, too.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Just in case anyone thinks it's easy, Hyundai is still having issues with chassis tuning on their large sedan. http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013112 ... dailydrive
We got three laps around the road course at Hyundai's Namyang proving grounds an hour's bus ride outside Seoul. After getting a firm sense from the shocks in a straight line, we found that, around the road course, the car tended to wallow a bit more and maybe even flop somewhat. The rack-mounted motor-driven electric power steering with variable gear ratio was precise enough and not terribly overboosted, but the 245/45 front and 275/35 rear all-season tires mounted on 19-inch rims (18s are standard) yelped in agony as we flung the craft hither and yon around the Korean countryside. That sound might have come from our terrified engineer/passenger, though.

The car has been timed around the Nürburgring, but it was only an “informal” lap, we were told. Nonetheless, it was “about five percent faster with HTRAC than with rear-wheel drive.”
Their previous suspension was too firm (like the first Lexus IS-F). Now it seems too soft. Like I said, it's not easy.

Pretty sure the SS is superior in every measurable performance metric than the Genesis 5.0 R SPEC (stupid name), as well as the more esoteric traits. The SS is also $3k cheaper. Than a Hyundai. Does anyone still think it's not a screaming deal?

One of the other things that pleases me about GM's chassis tuning in the past few years, is what they've done on cars WITHOUT the MR shocks. Cobalt SS (turbo). Camaro 1LE and Z28. Chevy SS. Base C7. Shit even the new Impala is said to have class-leading ride/handling. I might be forgetting something. Oh yeah, CTS-V1 w/ FG2 shocks. The point is, detractors may have tried to make the point that they used computers (and MR shocks) to cover for their inability to tune a shock absorber. Fortunately, there's significant evidence that MR shocks are not a crutch at all.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So a little satin paint, 20" wheels, a little lowering and a custom grill goes a long way:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1088 ... rs-at-sema
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zaiP4jAs28

God I want this car. It's so good!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/ ... 00297.html

It begins this way:
We were intrigued. And now we’ve driven it. Can the 2014 Chevrolet SS silence the skeptics and compete with Europe?

Fashioned from a Holden Commodore sold by General Motors’ Australian division, the SS received mixed grades upon its reveal – many lamenting about the car’s muted design, while others bewailed the lack of a manual transmission.

I’ll admit, I fell into both groups: I wanted more muscle – more distinction from the Impala. And I wanted the manual transmission from the Corvette – at least as an option – to prove its seriousness in attracting real gearheads while differentiating itself from much of its European competition. I was concerned the SS was a bold plan to reinvigorate a brand that had gone through a tough few years, and when it came to execution, the folks at Chevy had lost their bottle. They didn’t commit.
This made me grin (because I agree):
With 415 lb.-ft. of torque to match its power output, it bursts off the line forcefully, pulling hard while remaining calm. With horsepower figures sometimes bordering on silly, I’m starting to believe that a low 400 hp complements today’s roads perfectly. It’s fast, but not crazy fast. It’s usable power.
The choice to use 19s makes all the sense in the world. 20s are too big (sacrifice performance for looks):
And it handles well, too. It’s a car you can’t help but drive fast, like when you drive a Fiat 500 Abarth. It eggs you on, daring you to try harder. As I said, it forces you to commit. But when you do, it rewards you. Its grip level is staggering, helped by a low-center of gravity due to an aluminum hood and rear deck lid, shaving 30 percent of weight when compared to traditional steel panels. All-in, the SS weighs 3,975 lbs., which isn’t half bad for a four-door sedan
And yet for $45,000, with only two options (a sunroof for $900 and a spare tire for $500), you’re getting a competitive ride that undercuts the likes of a similarly powered BMW 550i. It also handily outpaces its American competitors, the bland Ford Taurus SHO and angry but less capable Chrysler 300 SRT8 and Dodge Charger.
He said the trans seemed slow. I believe it does have some adapting it can do depending on driving style. It really depends what you are comparing it to, I think. It's a hydraulic transmission. It will never drive like a DSG-type transmission.

Then he complained about the steering but admitted he drove it back to back with the C7, so that may have been a little unfair.

This is particularly germane:
And the more time I spent with the car, the more I enjoyed its subtle muscular looks.
It's not the kind of car you pin up on your wall in 8th grade. It's the kind of car an adult drives because he enjoys fine machinery. Or, at least the kind of car I drive because I enjoy fine machinery.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Finally, a comparo between the Charger SRT-8 and the Chevy SS:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons ... rison-test

It played out exactly like I thought it would. The SS brings the kind of refinement that the E39 BMW was known for back in the day. It manages to out-handle the Charger while also having a way better ride. Better balanced, WAY lighter. It basically totally out-classes the Charger. And it was cheaper. Maybe some of my excitement for this car is becoming more clearly justified?

The Chevy SS is like a BMW E39 M5 combined with a Camaro SS 1LE, in a BMW E38 7-series package (both in terms of size and conservative styling).