M/T: Dual motor AWD Tesla Model 3 announced

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: M/T: Dual motor AWD Tesla Model 3 announced

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/m ... ce-review/

As Bill would say, $64k base for 0-60 in 3.5. Of course I want to know the 1/4 mile and trap speed but obviously this thing is a launch monster. And I do like launch. And this launch is not some clutch dropping abusive thing - of course, not abusive other than overheating of the motors, inverters or batteries...extensive testing will reveal that if it is an issue.

Also that interior is a complete show stopper but that's not really the point. The point is I think this kind of thing may become more typical, or at least become a very established EV segment that will see increasing competition. Which brings me to my next point.

So here's a confession. I don't know that I want this kind of performance to be accessible by every new car buying asshole with a bank check and a standard loan - and yes, technically it already is but I think the push seems to be toward mainstreaming this kind of thing. It is similar to the "issue" of vehicles like a V6 Camry giving Bob's Elise a run. One of the things people like about performance vehicle niches is that everyone else has something slower. Certainly it is individually thrilling and there is a certain obvious satisfaction in that. But I like the fact that I can buy a heavily depreciated luxury/sport vehicle like a V2 and have something in the top 5% of what's on the road for only $30k and the exclusiveness is that most people just wouldn't buy a used one of those. So I get to drive something nicer and faster than my socioeconomic standing would suggest, and I am not doing it in a douchebag way (by leasing). There. Discuss.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Well, the good news is that this type of performance is probably not going to be marginalized to the masses for a few reasons:

64K is not crazy for 0-60 at 3.5 seconds if the rest of the other stats don't totally suck, but, for non enthusiasts, 0-60 in 4.5 seconds for 40ish-K (non-D stats) is probably more than enough for anyone but total enthusiasts, so there will still be less of these as the average person will not spend the extra, unless AWD is a real requirement in the purchase decision.

If it is marginalized, people will be flying off the road left and right (and then autonomous mode will be mandated, and driving is over if all cars do this)

Tesla has to actually make more than one, and successfully sell it to the mass public before it can be marginalized... (especially since no other EV automaker is doing anything on par with these stats)

Here is the way I see it. Tesla wants to be Chevy, but they are really more like Ferrari. Until that changes, this will not be marginalized. Think about it. They look good, cost a lot, and at the upper echelon they are starting to have real performance - 2020 Roadster is insane if it becomes available. They are really not competing with the Bolt or Leaf or Prius as none of those look good, cost a lot, or have performance.
Bob

Post by Bob »

After many years of ownership, I am at peace with the Lotus being as slow as many pedestrian cars. I still remember racing a Testarossa from a light in 2006 in the Elise. We ran pretty much dead even from 0-80 or so. I'm sure the guy in the Testarossa may have felt slightly sad that his once untouchable 80s exotic was now pretty much equal to a much cheaper British sports car with a Japanese powertrain. In 2018, 13-14 years have passed since my Elise was made, which is roughly the same number of years between the last Testarossa and the Elise. I expect progress over time and this isn't a bad thing. The Elise was never a straight line car and many of its attributes, like the super light weight, excellent chassis and manual steering are no longer available in any US-market 2018 model cars at any price, with the possible exception of the Alfa 4C. So while I might get embarrassed by a V6 midsize sedan or even a full-size pickup in a stop light drag race, the car still has many characteristics that make it special.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah that was not a great example. A better example would be something like an LT1 F-body or even an LS1 F-body against the same V6 Camry.

Maybe all I am saying is I want some kind of exclusivity for performance. It isn't always about the cost. It can be about age, reliability, practicality or even looks. An 2001 E39 M5 would be exclusive as hell though probably not the best idea (for me). A Chevy SS IS exclusive, even if you don't like the way it looks. I would be thrilled to own one, I think. And for every mainstream Challenger, Mustang GT or Camaro SS owner who scoffs at my "rental car," there is that 1% of the enthusiast population that DOES know what it is, and those are the opinions I care about. I do not care about the "casual car enthusiasts" who need to be beaten over the head with obvious cues to know that something has performance. But I digress.

Bill's argument is vehicles like the high performance model of the Model 3 seem to check a lot of boxes for vehicles in general, while broadening the availability for consumers. I don't want 100,000 people to be interested in a single model of a performance vehicle, be able to purchase it, and DO purchase it. I want to own special cars because that makes me feel special, and I can't feel special if 99,999 other people are driving the exact same vehicle for the exact same reasons at the exact same time. I'd rather own something used that is mostly unattainable (or otherwise impractical) for people as a new vehicle. Using Camaros, I don't want a $30k brand new stripped down Camaro with a 5.3. I want a 4 year old $47k Camaro 2SS 1LE for $30k.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Don't worry, you will have exclusivity soon as you will have a car that runs on gas, and has a steering wheel...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

That is not the exclusivity I was looking for. But since I am usually behind on trends if for no other reason that I don't tend to own new things, I can guarantee I won't be the first in my family or neighborhood to buy such a conveyance...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I was about to say that my tastes could be compared to a hipster. Except my ideal transportation is not a 1988 Volvo 240 wagon. On the other hand, if it had an LS turbo.....
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-l ... CBF5502ECE

Also, from many front angles, especially directly head on, I think the Model 3 is ugly. Yes. You can see it in the RCR review video which I will try to post. It is bulbous and has way too much greenhouse. Almost seems VW Beetle-ish. The Model S looks so much better.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

bill25

Post by bill25 »

I think the Model 3 is ugly.
I think you are wrong. LOL.