Trucks for my neighbor

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: Trucks for my neighbor

Post by kevm14 »

I did have another thought on S10 vs Silverado. If we compare equivalent Edmunds dealer retail book values, the S10 is going to be clean while the Silverado is going to be rough to average. Therefore, if that S10 in Johnston is a candidate, he is asking clean retail which means it ought to be right. If they don't want to fix the latch, the heater thing and everything else, then I'd say pass.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

This assessment actually helps me with my snow removal decision.

I was thinking S10 because I figured it would be significantly cheaper. Sounds like it is almost equivalent, but with less power which officially makes it out of the running for a plow option.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:I did have another thought on S10 vs Silverado. If we compare equivalent Edmunds dealer retail book values, the S10 is going to be clean while the Silverado is going to be rough to average. Therefore, if that S10 in Johnston is a candidate, he is asking clean retail which means it ought to be right. If they don't want to fix the latch, the heater thing and everything else, then I'd say pass.
Or maybe pass for now. See what the rest of the S-10/S-15 market is like. The "clean retail" price might be inflated right now due to winter and snow.

The best time to buy a 4WD truck is in the summer while the best time to buy a sports car is in the winter. It sounds like she doesn't really have the option to wait too long, though.
Adam

Post by Adam »

billgiacheri wrote:This assessment actually helps me with my snow removal decision.

I was thinking S10 because I figured it would be significantly cheaper. Sounds like it is almost equivalent, but with less power which officially makes it out of the running for a plow option.
It's equivalently priced because it was nice. You should be able to find a rough S-10 for less. This one would be cheaper if the guy were to sell it as-is (w/o fixing the rust or addressing any safety items for an inspection sticker).
Adam

Post by Adam »

Also WRT a plow truck, an S truck wouldn't cut it in VT/NH/ME but would be fine in RI for pretty much everything except that storm we get once every 10 years. In that storm it would have to try real hard, but could probably power through it with careful plowing and some extra time.

We are getting off topic?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Broken 3rd door handle fix for an S-10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xT3EWWV-go

Dorman apparently makes a metal unit. This looks like an extremely cheap fix. So, the dealer can do it.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Somewhere I forgot to carry the 1 or something...

The S-10 in outstanding condition is dealer retail of $4800. In clean condition it is $4000. So they either fix everything and we can discuss paying closer to the $4800 or they fix less and we're closer to $4000...