Trucks for my neighbor

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Trucks for my neighbor

Post by kevm14 »

Her 2005 Scion tC was totaled and she wants/needs some kind of truck for lifestyle reasons (such as hunting). Budget is up to $5k.

Let me just run down the options as I see them:

Smaller

Ranger
The 4.0 pushrod V6 was available up to 2000, and the newer 5R55E was also available with this engine starting in 1997. Wiki says early 2000 Rangers had an unreliable "PVH" axle locking system and was changed mid-year. But overall, a 4.0 pushrod V6 4WD Ranger seems like a decent choice if something on the smaller side is acceptable. Also Mazda B-4000 (same thing). Adam said something about avoiding the SOHC 4.0 from 2001 and up. And the first one such Ranger I clicked on boasted about having a replacement engine. Yikes.

S-10/Sonoma
Obviously with the 4.3L and 4WD. These are much harder to find than the Rangers. No idea why. But they are still around. This appears to be a good option at a good price: http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/4872662079.html

1/2 ton

GMT-400 trucks, 88-98 Chevy/GMC K1500
4.3, 305 or 350 as options. The GMT-400 are solid choices, but body/frame rust will need to be examined on each individual example, since 1/2 ton trucks in this price range will be older than the smaller trucks (because they command more money).

GMT-800 trucks, 99-2006 Silverado/Sierra
I feel like one of these with a 4.3 V6 or 5.3 would be a good choice. They had some rust issues, however. Fortunately, rust is easier to evaluate than some hidden things, though you need to know what to look for.

F-150
I'd almost say just skip anything with a modular V8 because I don't know enough to find one that isn't going to develop the spark plug or exhaust manifold issue. That would leave the 96 and older body style. Those are getting very hard to find.

I'd probably skip the Ram. And frankly I'd skip the Dakota as well. Probably unfair. But life is unfair.

What about furrin options? Logic tells me the Tacoma is pricing itself out of contention but I guess I could at least look. They just don't drive as nice as a 1/2 ton and I think they cost about the same. I don't know much about the Frontier but I don't think too much of it I guess. Tundra? I dunno, I feel like domestic trucks offer enough options for this exercise.
kevm14

Re: Trucks for my neighbor

Post by kevm14 »

Intriguing bonus option:
2001-2006 Chevy Avalanche (GMT-800).

Example: http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/4850145201.html

First and second row space of a large SUV, but still has a 5 foot bed (slightly longer I believe). There is also a midgate for hauling longer loads. There are interesting as they have no competition. As if that wasn't enough, GM made a 3/4 ton Avalanche that you could get with the Vortec 8100 which is craziness.

Here's why the Avalanche is cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg9B0iJflGA

Saabkyle tours a 2002 North Face edition (lame): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z9djKlXyW4
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:Adam said something about avoiding the SOHC 4.0 from 2001 and up. And the first one such Ranger I clicked on boasted about having a replacement engine. Yikes.
The timing chain setup was needlessly complicated and prone to failure around 60-80k. If not addressed properly, you could (will) need an engine. Labor is ... extensive. See this page for terrible pictures:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/21221 ... lp-10.html
That's right, its an OHC, but there is still a "jack shaft" where an OHV camshaft would be to connect the front and rear timing chain assemblies.
kevm14 wrote:F-150
I'd almost say just skip anything with a modular V8 because I don't know enough to find one that isn't going to develop the spark plug or exhaust manifold issue. That would leave the 96 and older body style. Those are getting very hard to find.
They all have the exhaust manifold issue. You might find one that had them done under warranty, the redesigned pieces seemed to be more durable. The plugs also had a design change that seemed to keep them in the cylinder head. Not that I am recommending a Ford truck with a modular V8.
kevm14 wrote:I'd probably skip the Ram. And frankly I'd skip the Dakota as well. Probably unfair. But life is unfair.
It depends on how much you like installing transmissions. Or fueling a Hemi (they make my Fleetwood look like an economy car).
kevm14 wrote:Logic tells me the Tacoma is pricing itself out of contention but I guess I could at least look. They just don't drive as nice as a 1/2 ton and I think they cost about the same.
Tacomas drive nice for a small truck if equipped with the correct powertrain components. My parents had a '98 with 4WD and the 2.7L 4cyl and a manual transmission and it was fine. The autos probably suck with the 4cyl, though. Especially with the smaller 2.4L vs the 2.7L. The V6 had a more reasonable level of power for an auto. The big problem with that generation and the one after it was frame rust. My parents' was bought back by Toyota when the frame rusted through. Other than that, it was very dependable. Some of the newer ones got replacement frames, so that's an option. Those people are probably still driving theirs, though.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I forgot about the Colorado/Canyon. The resale might make these worth looking at.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Things to potentially move forward with and evaluate more than just on the internet:

1. That $2,000 S-10, as a budget option

2. The long bed V6 regular cab Silverado, though I still don't think this is a good option with the regular cab

3. Whatever Avalanche looks like the right one to see if the large cab, shorter bed, reconfigurable midgate and locking bed storage is the right balance

4. Some kind of extended cab Silverado with the 5.3L V8

5. I forgot about the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon twins. There might be some good deals to be had on these.

At least among GM options. Looking at these will help refine what size truck is desired as well as the right blend of cab space and bed length.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Adam wrote:Tacomas drive nice for a small truck if equipped with the correct powertrain components. My parents had a '98 with 4WD and the 2.7L 4cyl and a manual transmission and it was fine. The autos probably suck with the 4cyl, though. Especially with the smaller 2.4L vs the 2.7L. The V6 had a more reasonable level of power for an auto. The big problem with that generation and the one after it was frame rust. My parents' was bought back by Toyota when the frame rusted through. Other than that, it was very dependable. Some of the newer ones got replacement frames, so that's an option. Those people are probably still driving theirs, though.
I'm sure the Tacoma drives nice compared to a 91 Ranger but I don't think it's as good as a more modern 1/2 ton (I've driven neither, just going by what I've read). In other words, a 2013 Tacoma doesn't drive any better than a 98.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:5. I forgot about the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon twins. There might be some good deals to be had on these.
Wow I take it back. Cheapest option is $8,000, at least on Craigslist. Checking Auto Trader...

Ok, cheapest on Auto Trader is $6500. Well, I'm surprised. I thought they were unloved...
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:
Adam wrote:Tacomas drive nice for a small truck if equipped with the correct powertrain components. My parents had a '98 with 4WD and the 2.7L 4cyl and a manual transmission and it was fine. The autos probably suck with the 4cyl, though. Especially with the smaller 2.4L vs the 2.7L. The V6 had a more reasonable level of power for an auto. The big problem with that generation and the one after it was frame rust. My parents' was bought back by Toyota when the frame rusted through. Other than that, it was very dependable. Some of the newer ones got replacement frames, so that's an option. Those people are probably still driving theirs, though.
I'm sure the Tacoma drives nice compared to a 91 Ranger but I don't think it's as good as a more modern 1/2 ton (I've driven neither, just going by what I've read). In other words, a 2013 Tacoma doesn't drive any better than a 98.
If you want to compare a Toyota to a half ton, use the Tundra not the Tacoma. Using a Tacoma is like comparing a Ranger to an F-150. If a half ton truck is what she wants, don't even consider a Tacoma. Too small. Not as capable.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

This is the problem:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... 0867&Log=0

Grossly inflated resale value. It's not hard or expensive to maintain a 1/2 ton (they run to 300k, 400k, 500k and so on, just like Tacomas) and aside from alright gas mileage with the 4 cylinder Tacoma I just don't understand the attraction.

The only 4WD auto Tacoma under $7k within 100 miles. As I suspected, that crosses it right off the list.
Adam

Post by Adam »

They are reliable, which is apparently worth a 40% markup. Also, due to frame failures, they are now rare.