This thread is not about the SAAB's Oil Pressure.

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
Fast_Ed

This thread is not about the SAAB's Oil Pressure.

Post by Fast_Ed »

It's about it's Temperature.

My car has an oil cooler, as do many turbo saabs, for obvious reasons. The 9-3's had their oil thermostat set to send oil through this cooler at 120C, unlike the earlier SAABs that were set to 80C.

As a reminder, the 40 in 5w40 is measured at 100C.

Didn't CAFE start in the late 90's? I bet hot oil would squeak out a couple tenths of an MPG...
Fast_Ed

Re: This thread is not about the SAAB's Oil Pressure.

Post by Fast_Ed »

I discovered that the classic 900's oil thermostat will fit and is an 80C version. Unfortunately, these are not available new.... But I found an oil filter housing which includes the thermostat from an '88 SPG on Ebay for $30 shipped. I'll see if they really look the same and probably test them in the oven. New gasket ordered as well.

Kind of funny if an SPG part ends up fixing the Viggen..

My only concern is that extra heat may end up overwhelming the oil to air intercooler. Not sure what a C900 one looked like, either..
Adam

Post by Adam »

Fast_Ed wrote: Didn't CAFE start in the late 90's? I bet hot oil would squeak out a couple tenths of an MPG...
No, 1975.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate ... el_Economy
But yes. GM moved to 5w30 in 1985-ish in pursuit of fuel economy. Ford/Honda moved to 5w20 in the early 2000s for the same. I don't know anything about any cars newer than that.
Adam

Post by Adam »

What problem are you trying to solve?
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

The Saabs oil pressure is o.k. of three time, but I seen it dtop below 10psi sitting in traffic. In winter. In summer with the AC fixed, this would be bad.

A lot of T7 Saabs like mine idle with around 15psi. They prob drop lower too, but don't get measured then. There are threads on freshly rebuilt engines with similar issues. I think they all might have an oil temp problem.. The threads always point at the builder or if not a fresh rebuilt, worn main/rod bearings, or if those are fresh, the balance shaft bearings. No one has said "my oil temp is 250f, and it was 180f on me c900.. could that be it?"
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Fast_Ed wrote:It's about it's Temperature.

My car has an oil cooler, as do many turbo saabs, for obvious reasons. The 9-3's had their oil thermostat set to send oil through this cooler at 120C, unlike the earlier SAABs that were set to 80C.

As a reminder, the 40 in 5w40 is measured at 100C.

Didn't CAFE start in the late 90's? I bet hot oil would squeak out a couple tenths of an MPG...
248°F is too warm if you ask me. I like to see oil temp like 10-15 degrees above coolant temp, not like 50. You have no buffer for when you start hammering on it, unless the system actually can maintain that temp even at sustained WOT.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Fast_Ed wrote:My only concern is that extra heat may end up overwhelming the oil to air intercooler. Not sure what a C900 one looked like, either..
What? The external oil cooler?
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

kevm14 wrote:
Fast_Ed wrote:My only concern is that extra heat may end up overwhelming the oil to air intercooler. Not sure what a C900 one looked like, either..
What? The external oil cooler?
Yeah, I said intercooler out of reflex because it came after "something to air"... It's really more of a radiator. I specify oil to air because 9-5's had an oil to coolant radiator.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

kevm14 wrote:248°F is too warm if you ask me. I like to see oil temp like 10-15 degrees above coolant temp, not like 50. You have no buffer for when you start hammering on it, unless the system actually can maintain that temp even at sustained WOT.
I agree. I don't have an oil temp gauge, but I do know that highway driving gets me to "a temperature" that appears consistent. When I go from highway to a stoplight or sitting in traffic, I'll have 15psi at idle. 20 minutes of stop-and-go later and it's getting down to 10psi. The other day it went below that (Lots of traffic, then drove up the bridge, lots of traffic coming back down the bridge... outside temp about 30 IIRC).

The oil thermostat is nominally 120c (248F). It apparently starts to open at 105C (221F). I looked at some viscosity vs temperature charts and the difference between 100C oil and 120C oil is pretty significant. I'll see if I can liberate one...

Not sure which coolant thermostat I installed years ago... But eeuroparts has a bunch of 88C (190F) and 89C (192F) thermostats.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Oil to coolant is...a heat exchanger or cooler.