What happened to Lincoln?

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

What happened to Lincoln?

Post by kevm14 »

Someone needs to write an article about this. I was browsing through the wiki on the Continental and I read the Discontinuation section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Co ... ntinuation

I think this says it all, actually.
After a few slow-selling years, Lincoln announced the end of Continental production after 2002. The cancellation was due largely to the continued shift in the consumer marketplace away from large front-wheel drive luxury cars. With advancements over recent years in traction control, anti-lock braking systems, and skid control devices, front-wheel drive was no longer deemed a necessity in inclement weather areas.

The Continental, and to an extent the Lincoln Mark VIII coupe, were essentially replaced in the Lincoln lineup by the mid-size Lincoln LS V8 & V6 sedans, which were introduced in the 2000 model year. Even though the Continental was a large front wheel drive sedan, and the Mark VIII was a rear wheel drive coupe, the rear wheel drive LS acted as a replacement for each, by acting both as a personal luxury vehicle, and as a contemporary sedan. Nevertheless, buyers looking for a full-sized luxury sedan in the Continental class tended to "move up" and purchase the larger rear wheel drive Town Car, while those looking for a personal luxury-sporty sedan in the Mark VIII class purchased the LS.
That's pretty sad. Remember, too, that I learned to drive on a 1990 Lincoln Continental (a fairly terrible car). Anyway, the LS didn't turn into a big seller, at all. But there's more sadness.
Lincoln upgraded the LS in 2005–2006 to attract more of the mid-size luxury market left unserved after the discontinuation of the Continental. Due to slowing sales, the LS was cancelled in April of 2006, following the release of the mid-size 2006 Lincoln Zephyr. A year later, the Zephyr was upgraded and re-released as the Lincoln MKZ. In mid-2008 as a 2009 model, Lincoln launched the new flagship Lincoln MKS. Based upon the same platform as the 2010 Ford Taurus, it would be a proper replacement for the Continental discontinued in 2002.
Fail! Fail after fail.

That's all for now...
Bob

Re: What happened to Lincoln?

Post by Bob »

I just happened to see this old post. I was having a similar conversation with my boss the other day and my conclusion as to why Lincoln has fallen so far behind Cadillac is that they don't have any of their own platforms. All current Lincolns are just rebadged Fords with some nicer options, more or less what Mercury used to be.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Cadillac's "worst" car in terms of what you describe (XTS) is equivalent (or better) than the best Lincoln has to offer. Not good.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Chrysler isn't doing that awesome as a brand, either. The 300 is basically analogous to the Hyundai Genesis. Not bad, but far from the top of the class.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I am surprised that Lincoln can't sell large comfortable luxury couches for the oldies. Cadillac and Lincoln used to share that demographic, and Cadillac doesn't serve them at all since they have really gone the way of luxury sport.

If you aren't racing down the street, and you need to pick up all of your friends that can't drive anymore, what's wrong with a huge new Lincoln Town Car? I used to like these cars. They had no performance, but that had V8s and style. I for one, am ok with cars looking different, and not being 100% aerodynamic.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Cadillac XTS is the DTS replacement. It's a fine comfortable cruiser with good materials and build. Not going to win any awards but it's a good car, and equipped with the 3.6 TT, pretty quick.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Here are some examples:
images4AMQOWRU.jpg
imagesA4YCI3TD.jpg
imagesRZM33O91.jpg
Compared to:
2014-cadillac-xts-vsport-interior-photo-532454-s-520x318.jpg
2014-cadillac-xts-vsport-interior-photo-566893-s-1280x782.jpg
And...
2015-hyundai-genesis-38-sedan-interior-photo-616414-s-520x318.jpg
2015-hyundai-genesis-38-sedan-interior-photo-616418-s-520x318.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Gotta admit, Bill has a point here. Which seats would you choose? Of course, members of this forum could choose any of them, because they're not scared of old cars. But elderly gents don't seem to like replacing water pumps and chasing electrical problems under the dash, so they buy new and boring. Remember when grandma's car was an old Fleetwood? Now its a Camry.. Sorry kid.

Due to CAFE, I don't think you will see a lot of huge seats like that in the future either. But new cars do seem to have space in the right places, even when they look small in pictures.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

True, and pillow-soft seats aren't necessarily as comfortable as they first seem (like in the lumbar support department). The old adage was the pillow seats were basically to give a good first impression to the old folks sitting down. So you make the seat terribly unsupportive just so the first 3 seconds of its use seems "comfortable." Makes no sense.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have a luxury rental (free days with National) coming up at Logan in a couple weeks and I am afraid they might try to give me an MKZ.