Ford Navistar 6.0 PSD

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Ford Navistar 6.0 PSD

Post by kevm14 »

They're terrible.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/10/fo ... ts/page/1/

I guess you pull the cab to do head gaskets and engine replacement. But basically ANYTHING is a huge PITA to access, despite being a "big truck."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013102 ... ar-diesels
Poor engine quality, high repair costs and sinking customer satisfaction ended the relationship between Ford and Navistar, which had built every Power Stroke engine used in Ford's F-Series since 1994. In 2010, Ford replaced the Navistar diesel with a new 6.7-liter diesel V-8 that the company designed in-house. That engine is built in a plant in Mexico.

Some 6-liter failures were so severe that Ford had to replace complete engines. Ford also ended up buying back hundreds of trucks that couldn't be easily repaired. The engine problems dramatically increased Ford warranty costs and led to litigation with Navistar.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f33 ... ms-163829/
FWIW, a couple of years ago I was at the Sacramento Metro Fire garages, and they have dozens of E-series 6.0 ambulances. The mechanic I was talking to said they hated those things, that they were constantly breaking. They were a relatively new thing at that time but with the somewhat slow turnover of vehicles in emergency services there are still a lot of 7.3s in service and so also quite a lot of early 6.0s. But it is my general impression that they never really got the multiple problems ironed out even in the later ones.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ordered more Fords anyway because there is nothing else out there that really competes. The GM chassis is quite a bit bigger and probably more expensive, what they go for is regular old E-350 cutaways mostly and GM doesn't really have a chassis to compare to that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAM4LBX5JUo

Maybe International has got some issues...but also poor maintenance.
I think both of the trucks have their ups and downs. They both run strong and both have great power. Dodge has had a reputation for trannies going out. Ford has had a reputation for their engines.
If only there was a good engine and transmission in the same truck....
Adam

Re: Ford Navistar 6.0 PSD

Post by Adam »

Adam

Post by Adam »

The late model Tundra also needs the cab taken off for major engine work.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Oh man this is so true!
It's funny here because you see lots of guys who say they just bought a Tundra because brand X gave them so many fits that they were fed up. Then you have the guys here who have lost an engine or a tranny and they think Toyota is just the greatest for stepping up and giving them a new engine or tranny. It seems if you owned brand X and you had trouble, then damn brand X and switch to Toyota. If you have a Tundra and have trouble, then it's....Awwwww, Toyota is just the greatest! They gave me a new engine! Now that is service!
Wait, this is impossible for a Japanese automaker.
My history with Toyota lends me to believe that they will handle these issues like that have done in the past. They will deny that there is anything widespread for a long time, then just when you think the water is under the bridge, they will fix the problem on a new model that they have denied existed before.
Right.
Being a Tundra forum, you're talking mostly to Tundra owners (and some Toyota fanboys who think Toyota walks on water). If a problem comes up with a Tundra, they'll deny it or write it off as a freak occurrence. Many people here are also biased toward Toyota and have pre-conceived notions that GM, Ford, Dodge, or whoever makes inferior products. What is reported as a problem with a Toyota is "a freak occurrence", while if it was reported on, say, a GM, many people would say, "thats domestic quality for you".
I'm sure the Tundra is a nice truck. But other than some Toyota grass-is-greener fixation, why would anyone buy one over a big-three model?

Also this thread is from 2007 when the Tundra was actually new and interesting. This is 2014 and it most definitely is not new and interesting.
Adam

Post by Adam »

The 5.7 makes 381 HP. That is kind of interesting. Also, the Tundra was redesigned for 2014, but that engine carried over.

TRD offers a supercharger kit that brings the engine up to 504 HP and 550 lb-ft. Motor Trend tested one and it ran the quarter in 13.0 sec at 106.3 mph.