My mom got a 2013 Fusion

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

My mom got a 2013 Fusion

Post by kevm14 »

It's a maroon color. SE. This was a fleet car (not a rental), and to my surprise it is equipped with the 1.6L Ecoboost. It is also equipped with a conventional 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission. I wasn't sure if Ford was using their automated manual like I got in that rental Focus one time.

I have never driven a Fusion of any generation. This particular one has around 50k on it.

The engine is very quiet.

As far as performance? It is adequate, but no more. I don't think this car is any faster than my mom's old 2007 Impala. According to my dad, the folks at work who have experience with the previous fleet Impalas and the newer Fusions say the fuel economy is mostly a wash. So the engine is half the size, with a lot more complexity, and the best it can do is about the same performance and fuel economy? Yeah, I'm skeptical of these Ecoboost engines, alright.

Turbo lag wasn't too bad, which is to say, it has turbo lag but it wasn't distracting. What I do mind, though, is engines with no appreciable throttle response. And small displacement turbo engines have no throttle response. It's just the way it is. From that respect, I definitely prefer the drivability of the 3.5L in the Impala. The car itself, on the other hand, is quite nice. I wasn't as totally enamored with the suspension as Bob has been. I didn't feel anything above what every other manufacturer seems to be doing these days. Perhaps the steering was above average, but ride/handling seemed pretty unexceptional to me.

The key sticks out way too far and hit my knee until I moved the seat further back than I really would otherwise have to.

One thing that is nice about an engine like this is it does develop some torque at lower rpm, which is most useful when driving at steady speed, and avoiding a downshift. It pulled a hill at 45mph and like 1800rpm. Cruises at 70mph and 2000rpm, with no issues. That was nice. But with a lame-ish power/weight and seemingly unexciting fuel economy, is that worth all the complexity?

Foot to the floor and...well, it does accelerate. Doesn't push you back or anything.

What I remarked to my dad who was in the passenger seat (for all my WOT excursions, and never said anything, which is almost court-admissible evidence that this car has a very mediocre power/weight ratio, but also a testament to a smooth and refined engine), was that this car feels totally competent but otherwise not that exciting. Like any given rental car I've driven.

Rear seat legroom seemed good. The styling of the car is also very nice. My mom loves it.

I am curious about gas mileage. I think it will prove to get just a few ticks better than the Impala. Frankly, I think that is absolutely pathetic, given this is one size smaller car, with a tiny-ass engine. Well, they seem to sell a lot of these, so that's something.
kevm14

Re: My mom got a 2013 Fusion

Post by kevm14 »

Fun facts:
The 2014 model year sees this engine replaced with the new 1.5L Ecoboost. The old 1.6 is available only with a manual trans. Not sure what that's about.

As for the 1.6, it develops 178 hp and 184 lb-ft. This is a 3,416 lb car (if we believe Motor Trend). You're looking at about an 8 second 0-60 and 16.2 @ 85 or so.

I am completely underwhelmed by this powertrain. The best I can say is it drives like a small V6, but without any throttle response. Yay?

I think my dad drove a Fusion with the 2.5L 4-cylinder. He said it required a downshift to accelerate under almost any circumstances. From that perspective, this 1.6 should prove less infuriating.

At least my brother's Cruze Eco gets noteworthy fuel economy (in a smaller and lighter car).
Bob

Post by Bob »

The Fusion that I rave about is the Titanium model that comes with an upgraded suspension over the base model (also, the 2.0L Ecoboost). I do think the base model is pretty good as well though.

One of my friends moved from the Impala to the Fusion 1.6 Ecoboost as his fleet car and reports that fuel economy is marginally better in the Fusion, while the chassis is much much better. To be fair, you're comparing a modern global Ford platform with the final remaining relic of the "old" GM.

As far as fuel economy goes, I have found the new Malibu to be pretty underwhelming as well. A couple rentals I have had have failed to deliver close to the EPA ratings even under ideal circumstances. The only car in the class that I have rented (no Hondas in rental fleets) that delivers the mileage is the Altima. Unfortunately it is pretty lame to drive otherwise and usually not well optioned at National.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah the 2.0T with that trim is probably a lot better. I would probably just get the V6.
Bob

Post by Bob »

There is no V6 Fusion... The 2.0L Ecoboost is intended to replace the V6 option, much like the 2.0L Turbo Ecotec replaced the V6 in the Malibu.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Ah. A sticker in the engine bay said something about a 3.7L...guess it's just a corporate sticker and not applicable to this car.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Useless information: you could get the Duratec V6 in the first generation Fusion, but only with an automatic.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah that was back when Ford and Mazda were still sharing engines and platforms.