Non-repair car talk
bill25

DARPA hacks onStar

Post by bill25 »

Here is the episode clip:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/car-hacked-on-60-minutes/

http://jalopnik.com/darpa-hacks-gms-ons ... 1684593523

Interesting brake comment:
Brakes on modern car only work if the ABS unit lets them work. It could easily disable the brakes. I watched it happen once on a BMW. Guy was applying full pressure to the brakes but, none of it was getting to the wheels because the ABS unit was diverting it away from the brakes (that's how ABS works, they divert pressure and use a pump to keep the pedal height up). He ended up wrecking when it happened.
I don't know a lot about ABS but maybe this is how they disabled the manual brake: by having the abs cancel it out effectively.
Last edited by bill25 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevm14

Re: DARPA hacks onStar

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah that is true. The ABS pump can increase, decrease, or hold pressure. At least according to the FSM for my 93 Caprice.

Of course, much like the floor mat/Toyota gas pedal scandal, simply switch off the ignition and that would disable the ABS controller/pump. Unless the hack also prevents that from happening.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

If power is cut from any of the computers/systems, the hack would be stopped.

There is this zinger in the comments:
It's a GM car...turning the key won't work.

I'll see myself out.

Too soon.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I also thought of another situation for the malware to spread instead of flying over a city:

If it is planted in a car, and it spreads like a virus through the car's wifi to other cars via their wifi it could potentially be spread exponentially pretty quickly, and cars don't have virus/malware detection so nobody would even know.

It isn't the end of the world but these things should be considered by engineers to keep their customers safe.

I don't see your neighbor doing it, but potentially as a skilled terrorist/enemy attack to scare people.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

One conspiracy theory I am interested in is a future where you simply say the word "Because Cyber" and people give you millions or billions. Creating panic is one way to ensure that. The truth always lies somewhere in the middle.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

billgiacheri wrote:If power is cut from any of the computers/systems, the hack would be stopped.

There is this zinger in the comments:
It's a GM car...turning the key won't work.

I'll see myself out.

Too soon.
I like the part where he made the wrong technical joke. The ignition key shut off in certain situations (keys on the key chain and a specific impact vector). Not that you couldn't turn it off (or on) manually. Oh well.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

The saddest part is that it is more on people's minds than shrapnel being expelled at your face at airbag deploying speeds during an accident.

Perception is more important or stronger than reality. - Giorgio - and someone else that I forgot...
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Here is the story on Car and Driver:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/senator-is ... e-hacking/

Great comment, guy must be genius status:
The solution is ridiculously simple. Manufacturers need to completely separate control units related to the powertrain, brakes and steering from the infotainment system and wireless communications. Also, it would be a good time for the auto industry to ask themselves what is essential and what's not in a car. If you need park or lane assist to drive and park your car, it's should be a sign that you should give up your drivers license.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

By the way:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ca ... ed-feature

That article is from 2011.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Ok yeah it looks like they put the ABS into basically brake pressure reduction mode. Turning the key off would have restored complete control.

Also, affecting steering would have to take place via stability control. Which means it would brake individual wheels to induce a yaw moment on the car. It would be something that could easily cause a crash at highway speeds.